Christmas time is when the kitchen is filled with the smell of gorgeous festive treats. But your little one doesn’t have to miss out on it all. We’re bringing you our favourite allergy friendly Christmas Cookies! They are milk-free, egg-free and nut-free and really taste of Christmas. And the best bit? This recipe is really child friendly with easy mixing as well as the usual rolling out, cutting the cookies and decorating. So, bond with your child and get baking…
Our favourite allergy friendly Christmas cookies
What you’ll need:
60g dairy-free baking margarine
60g light brown sugar (light muscavdo works really well)
60g black treacle
60g unsweetened applesauce
30g self raising flour
1 teaspoon ginger*
1 teaspoon cinnamon*
1 teaspoon allspice*
*or any combination of these
Makes about 2 trays of cookies
How to make them
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/gas mark 4 and line two baking sheets with greaseproof paper
- Mix together the margarine, brown sugar, black treacle and half of the applesauce. Softening the margarine for 30 seconds in the microwave makes the mixture much easier to stir – which is really useful if you’re making these with younger children
- Gradually add the flour and spices – a couple of tablespoons at a time making sure that the mixture is thoroughly combined before adding more flour. As the mixture gets drier switch to kneading it with your hands. Once the mixture is thoroughly combined add enough of the remaining applesauce to bind it into a soft dough.
- At this point you can leave the dough mixture to cool in the fridge, but if you have impatient helpers it should be fine to use straight away.
- Now for the really fun part! Sprinkle Roll out the dough on a well floured surface until it’s about 1cm thick. Cover your cookie cutters in flour and cut out some festive shapes.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (they should be firm to touch and just starting to turn brown.
- Leave to cool
- Decorate with icing and try not to eat all of them at once
NB: OK, on second thoughts, maybe the really fun part is eating them!
For more ideas on how to have an allergy friendly Christmas visit our blogs posts on avoiding eczema at Christmas and eczema in winter. There’s also a great recipe for allergy friendly Christmas gingerbread men.
Here at ScratchSleeves we don’t just share our experiences of bringing up an eczema child (and favourite allergy friendly recipes), we also manufacturer and sell our unique stay-on scratch mitts and PJs for itchy babies, toddlers and children. We now stock sizes from 0-10 years in a range of colours. Visit our main website for more information.