These cuties will become a firm favourite of the little ones and the grown-ups in the family. Made in bun tins, the texture of the Mini Toads In The Hole is slightly more spongy than the usual batter and the combination of sausage, tomato and thyme is simply delicious. They are easy to eat as finger food, making them ideal for parties. We served the Mini Toads In The Hole on Bonfire Night and the plateful was gone in minutes!
If you can’t find dairy and gluten-free mini cocktail sausages, use your usual brand and cook them in the oven until they browned and almost cooked through, then cut them into small chunks.
Top tip – make sure the oil in the cups of the bun tin is really hot before adding the sausages, tomatoes and batter and pop them back in the oven quickly. This will ensure the batter rises really well.
50g self-raising gluten-free flour
75 ml almond milk
A few sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves stripped and chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1-2 tbsp olive oil
36 dairy and gluten-free pork cocktail sausages
12 cherry plum tomatoes, halved and at room temperature
2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas mark 7. Prepare the bun tin by adding a few drops of vegetable oil to each of the 12 cups. Set aside.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Crack the egg into the well, add a splash of the milk and using a whisk, gradually begin to incorporate the flour from the sides.
- Add the milk in stages, combining the remaining flour from the sides, whisking to a lump-free batter with the consistency of double cream. Add more milk if the batter is still a little thick. Stir in the thyme and season well.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the cocktail sausages and brown evenly for 5-7 minutes and keep warm.
- Place the prepared bun tin in the oven and heat for 5 minutes until the oil is just beginning to smoke.
- Remove from the oven and working quickly, add 3 sausages and 2 tomato halves to each cup, ¾ fill with the batter and return to the oven.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes until puffed up and golden brown.