My Gran and Mum been using this oat and golden syrup cookie recipe for as long as I can remember. Strangely, I didn’t realise that the milk-free, egg-free recipe was so allergy friendly until the kids wanted to bake with egg-allergic friend. This recipe differs slightly from most oat and golden syrup cookie recipes because it has been honed for baking with little helpers over the years. We don’t include the sugar in the hot ingredients as it has such a high melting point and use a microwave rather than the hob to make it safer for junior cooks.
What you’ll need:
- 100 g self-raising flour
- 100 g porridge oats
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100 g dairy free margarine (hard baking margarine works better than the soft stuff)
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 20g golden syrup
How to make them:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (170°C for fan ovens) and line two baking sheets with greaseproof paper (or you can grease and flour them).
- Put the all dry ingredients in a bowl and ask your little helper to mix them together. I tend to be generous with the measurements as my little helpers aren’t great at keeping the ingredients in the bowl.
- Melt the margarine in the microwave – 1 min at full power should do the trick – then add the golden syrup and microwave the mixture for a further 15-30 seconds, just enough to melt the syrup.
- Mix the hot mixture then pour it over the dry ingredients and ask your little helper to mix them together. The heat goes out of the melted mixture very quickly but do be careful.
- When all of the dry ingredients have been mixed in. Roll the mixture into balls about 2cm across and then squash them onto the tray to make circles around a centimetre thick. A 4yo’s handful is about perfect.
- Bake in the oven for around 15mins, then allow to cool for 5 mins before turning them out onto a cooling rack. Beware – they are VERY hot and don’t hold together well for the first 5 mins.
Visit Yummy Recipes for Eczema Babies & Kids for more free-from child-friendly recipes.
Here at ScratchSleeves we don’t just share our experiences of bringing up an eczema child and favourite allergy friendly recipes, we also manufacture and sell our unique stay-on scratch mitts and PJs for itchy babies, toddlers and children. We now stock sizes from 0-10 years in a range of colours. Visit www.ScratchSleeves.co.uk for more information.