These are a much healthier alternative to the nuggets served at fast-food restaurants. When I cooked these for the first time, my children devoured them in minutes and they are now a firm favourite. You can make these in advance and freeze them, just ensure they are completely defrosted before cooking and check they are heated through thoroughly before serving.
You will need a cookie cutter measuring approximately 7cm x 5cm to make 16 bites. To make this a dairy-free recipe replace the Parmesan cheese with finely grated dairy-free cheese.
Makes 16 bites
- 400g skinless chicken breasts, minced in a food processor
- 50g porridge oats, reduced to a fine flour in a food processor
- 100g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 100g gluten-free bread, made into breadcrumbs
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Combine the minced chicken, oat flour, half the grated cheese and the garlic in a bowl and season well.
- Divide the mixture into 16 equal pieces and press each piece into the cookie-cutter evenly to make 16 shapes. Push the shapes out and place on a plate.
- Combine the breadcrumbs and remaining grated cheese in a bowl and season well.
- Press each chicken shape into the breadcrumb mixture coating both sides. Lightly brush off any excess breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until lightly smoking and carefully place the shapes in the oil.
- Cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until lightly browned, then turn over and brown the other side.
- Transfer the shapes to a baking tray and cook in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked, the juices run clear and there is no pink meat.
- Delicious served with a homemade dipping sauce and accompanied with baked sweet potato chips and a fresh salad.
Here at ScratchSleeves, we don’t just share our experiences of bringing up an eczema child and favourite recipes for allergy kids, we also manufacture and sell our unique stay-on eczema scratch mitts and PJs for babies, toddlers and children. We now stock sizes from 0-16 years in a range of colours. Visit our online shop for more information.